Will Blog for Experience: Patrick

I'm a student blogger for Experience.com and if my blog gets the most readers out of these 5 blogs I will be going to Washington, D.C. for a job shadow at the Department of Energy, courtesy of CBCampus. Experience is a career site specifically for college students & alumni. They provide extraordinary job opportunities, real-world insights, and a network of inspirational role-models to help students explore and launch careers they love. Keep reading my blog if you want me to lead this challenge!

Experience, Inc.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Energy & Me

Welcome folks. This is an energy blog. We in America use an inordinate amount of energy to maintain our chosen lifestyle. Let me be clear: this is not a bad thing. Energy allows us to heat our homes, communicate across large distances, stay healthy, watch movies, and do all sorts of fun things. I'm concerned the way we generate this energy is not sustainable; changes are needed if we want to maintain this great way of life. I subscribe wholeheartedly to the concept of bright green environmentalism.

Who is this?

Let's back up a bit: I'm a Senior at Northwestern University, in Evanston, Illinois. I've been invited by Experience.com to spend a view weeks blogging on the topic of energy. Why would I do this? Simple: Energy is something I am passionate about. I am a mechanical engineer, and throughout my four years here I've worked with the local chapter of Engineers for a Sustainable World on projects related to energy, from campaigning for wind power on campus to designing a portable solar power kit. I see sustainable energy as the future; we must be able to supply our daily needs without compromising the ability of future generations to live life just like we do, hopefully better. That's why I'm currently planning to go on to graduate school next year and get a Masters in Mechanical Engineering, with a focus on energy systems. I want to work in industry, creating products that will change the world. I make no attempt to be modest; my goals are ambitious. It's not an easy problem to solve; but I am just one of many bright people on this country who aren't afraid to think outside the box in tackling it.

What's going on here?


Energy is a giant issue. How does one sum it up in a few posts? I'm going to try to use this space to illustrate the many ways that improvements can be made. I'll try to keep it updated with what's going on in the industry at the moment, what's to come, and perhaps what has been forgotten.

1st up: US Energy Consumption

3 Comments:

  • At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, I'm glad you're "...just one of the bright people on this country..." Sorry, but you don't seem so bright to me, Patrick. Maybe you should work on your modesty a little, and your grammar.

     
  • At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Outstanding commentary, and right on the mark. I hope you get to go to DC, because we need a loud voice from this perspective. The others seem to be missing what is important. We CAN reduce our consumption and waste. So much energy in the US and the world is wasted. We have to. Check out Jeff Goodell's book on Big Coal.

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Patrick's grammar in his blogs is impeccable and his ambition is very evident. I see intelligence and innovative potential in this person that is very hard to come by. However, I don't really need to point these out, as they are more than obvious. One more thing, his goals are very admirable; why should he have to work on his modesty? Apparently, a critical commenter on here seems to be jealous of these things, which he/she perhaps lacks.

    We NEED more people like Patrick to speak up on this important issue of energy and environmental responsibility. We need to be energy independent, and in order for that to happen, we need to be energy efficient. I want to see this country finally enter the 21st century energy wise, and people like Patrick are leading the way!

    - the Fuchian

     

Post a Comment

<< Home